5/21/2008

Dearest fellow students,

Time flies. It really does. And some of us are facing something we thought would never come - we know it would, but it's hard to seize the fact that the time is here.
Remember when in kindergarten you'd see high schoolers passed by and wonder about the time when it would be your turn to be in high school? It seemed pretty far away, didn't it?
And now, we look back try to understand how life went by so fast. Some of us are facing graduation, and while it's the beginning of an exciting, new phase, full of opportunities, it is also the end to life as we know it, everything we're used to, and everything we've ever known. Everything that's safe.
We're about to change routes. Start a new journey, and all those we've been traveling with? They will go down different roads. So will we.

Graduates, this is a time of joy, of embracing what lies ahead of us, and the millions of new possibilities. Let's get excited about life, and celebrate the end of an era.
This is a time of many "lasts" but also many "firsts". During this week, we've found ourselves saying "This is the last math test I'll do", or "This is the last social service report I'll ever fill", "Tomorrow's our last day", or "Nothing will ever be the same."
And it won't.
It's really hard for me to think about my class, my friends, and to understand that it just won't be no more. No more laughing in between classes, no more organizing events with the student's council, no more of everything I've ever known.
I'm leaving home. I have about a month and a few days left here, and then I'm leaving for college to a different, bigger, and unknown city. And when I say bigger I mean bigger. I'm trading it all for art school, for a career in visual arts in the university I wanted. And that's where beginnings come in.
Yes, these are my last days in my life. But it's hello to the rest of my life.
And it's exciting to think about everything I'll learn, everyone I'll meet and everything I'll live from now on.
And I know you are too.

To you who are just starting high school, I know you are too, because all along, you always know high school is the beginning of the end. But at the same time, college is the beginning of the grand finale.
After college, there's nothing but real life, and that is scary.

To you, who are about to start these bittersweet high school days, carpe diem.
Don't let it drift away. Make it yours. Live it. Hard. Laugh, talk, learn, fall, and rise again. Make huge mistakes; stick around. Never stop smiling. Kiss, a lot. Make friends. Be open, never say never. Really, you never know what can happen. Take chances, it's high school what is there to lose? Be yourself, what's the point on living how other's want? It's yours and yours alone.
Believe in Karma: what goes around comes around. Fail, and fail better. Live it. Responsibly. Make smart choices. Never forget consequences. Be whoever you want to be.
Just because you can.
Hold it tight to your heart, because when you least expect it, it'll be over. Over to give way to something new.

And that's the way it goes. What's new right now, will be old.
A beginning will become an end and an end is always a beginning.

And don't worry, even when everything looks oh-so-dark, later you'll look back and laugh about it.

Time flies. Embrace it. Embrace this bittersweet moments, for they will never come back.
I'm finding that very hard to believe.

I've cried over this song a few times now. And that's all I can say.

"Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where yo go
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
It's not a question but a lesson learned in time.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.


So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth it was worth all the while

It's something unpredictable, but the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life."


Good riddance (Time of your life) - Green Day



Dearest fellow students...it's our time to fly.
Have a safe flight.

Infinite x's & o's...
M.B. Whimsical.



No comments: