3/10/2008

Today is...


Ever had a though week coming ahead?
You just want to get into to your bed, cover yourself up to your head and sleep the whole week away.
That's what I wanna do.
This week is going to be quite a thunderstorm for me. Plus, next week is spring break for us, there are two free precious weeks laying ahead of me.
But before I can enjoy this 15 days of sun and sand, I have exams this whole week, a charity event on Wednesday night for the city's Orphanage (my mom's part of the board in charge of it and I promised her I'd help. I love those kids!) and very same day I have to study for Thursday's exams which are the worst.
I have yoga everyday and I don't want to miss it, and I don't want to skip a running session either. So it's all a matter of organization.

One of my goals for 2008 is to organize my time. You can do sooo many things if you manage your time properly! I have this huge agenda which I carry everywhere, it's ridicously big! But it's my life, I swear! And I love to fill it in with different quotes I found around, notes, pictures, magazine articles, and the usual stuff, like birthdays, homework and to-do lists.

Something very useful I try to use every week is something called "The Big Rocks". I learned this while reading
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey (I'll talk about this some other day). Great book.
Anyway, have you ever heard that story about rocks in a glass?
Well, how do you fit in a glass several big rocks, small rocks and pebbles?
If you put the pebbles first and then the small rocks and the the big rocks, you'll se that they don't fit. You have to place the big rocks first, then the small rocks and then the pebbles and they will all perfectly and orderly fit.
Big rocks are the things
you must do, like study for a test. Small rocks are other things you have to do, but are not as urgent/important, and the pebbles are the things you want to do. It's called prioritize. Determine the things you definitley must do and do them first. Once you're over with that you'll have lots of free time to do whatever you want to do!

However, if you slack all week long you'll be cramming on Sunday night to finish that essay you could have perfectly and calmly done on Wednesday, when you were lying on the couch watching the rerun of The Big Bang Theory for the second time. Sometimes it takes a little sacrifice, trust me, I'm such a slacker. I love spending time surfing the web looking for whatever I can find. I love doing this, I call it "doing research". But really, managing your time in the right way is the key to get rid of stressful, late-night cramming sessions, and being in a hurry.

A daily planner or agenda is essential, of course. Even though right now I have my big agenda, which I adore, I would love to have a Moleskine. I have a Moleskine sketchbook I bough in the NY MoMA, and I regret so badly not having purchased a standard notebook.
I first fell in love with Moleskines because of
Gala Darling. An kick-ass, Astraulian young lady, who's in love with life. Actually she's responsible for this blog. I adore her. My day is not complete if I do not check her blog. I will dedicate a whole post to her later.
Meanwhile, do pay her a visist, cheries!

Ok. Back to Moleskines, they are a practical and perfect way to manage your time. And they're stylish too.

Goodness, I got a bit carried away, didn't I?
This being my first actual post, I didn't really mean it to be about this, I was just posting my
weekly resolutions, something I haven't even mentioned!
But oh, well, I have learned this past year the importance of time management so it's something quite positive to share. Let's not waste another minute!


About weekly resolutions...it's a habit I've adopted from Gala too.
Every new year we set a thousand resolutions that just get lost and forgotten, so it's easier and better to make Weekly Resolutions. It's like breaking the problem into small parts. Once it's in small parts it's way easier to solve. Resolutions are easier to accomplish or to stick to if they are short-term.
Every Monday morning or every Sunday evening, plan your week ahead, as much as you can.

Locate your Big Rocks: appointments, tests, events, homework due this week, classes, or even a party you don't want to miss. Organize around this.

You don't have to do this, you could just set your resolutions, but it works better for me this way, but it's up to you.

Once you're done, decide what do you want to achieve this week. Eat healthier, have at least 30 minutes for relaxing everyday, read at least an hour each night, excercise daily, don't miss any yoga classes (that's me), or whatever you want to do.

It's important that you have them somewhere you can see them, like your desk or the place where you work or spend more time at. I keep them in my planner with a clip, so I see them everyday, and every once in a while. It's easy to forget about them or to lose motivation. But if you're constantly being reminded of them you'll stay in the right track.

Every Monday I'll post my Weekly Resolutions and you are welcome to do too. We'll check together how we did.

These are my Resolutions for this Week:
1.
Drink lots of water. I haven't been drinking enough lately and my body's starting to resent it.
2. Don't miss one single yoga class. Including Saturday's class at 9:00 a.m.
3. Study for my tests.
4. Don't complain (that much) about everything I've got to do this week.
5. Post at least threee things here. (Yay! This makes one!)
6. Get/Make a present for one of my oldest and best friend's birthday, which is on Saturday.
5. Clean up my bedroom.

That's it! Have a wonderful weekend, and beware of chasing white-hurried rabbits with waist-pocket watches.
Let's work our time the best this week!

Remember, if life gives you lemons, make lemonade!
What's your week going to be like?

Infinite x's & o's...
M.B. Whimsical.


P.S.
Sorry there's no picture! I'll put some as soon as I find out how to pass pics from Flickr to here. I haven't been able to!
You can check these inspiring day-planners for some ideas!

IDEA1
IDEA2

No comments: